Saturday, December 13, 2014

What are You Waiting For?

by Aaron Skiba on the Memorial of Saint Lucy

What are you waiting for? I know that when I was a child I couldn’t wait to grow up; as a teenager I couldn’t wait to move out; as an undergraduate student I couldn’t wait to graduate; and now as a graduate student I can’t wait to have a secure career and a family of my own.  Whether it’s for a stop light to change or for the next defining moment in our life to occur, waiting is an experience we face daily.  I for one cannot stand having to wait.  Needless to say patience is a virtue I rarely possess, which you would quickly realize after riding in the car with me during my daily commute to work.  Yet, during the Advent season we are called to reflect upon how individuals such as John the Baptist, Simeon (the man present at Jesus’ presentation in the temple), and of course Mary, patiently awaited the arrival of Jesus.     

Upon reading this Sunday’s gospel I could sense the priests’, Levites’, and Pharisees’ impatience through the questions they posed to John the Baptist: “‘Who are you?’... ‘Are you Elijah?’… ‘Are you the Prophet?’”  In response to these questions John humbly admits that he is not the Christ.  I believe that John’s humility and his faith and hope that “one mightier than” he will ultimately enter our world exemplifies his patience.  Eventually, Jesus does appear and is baptized by John.  I must admit, if I were John, I would have been rather annoyed and would have had a few words with Jesus for making me wait. Yet, I have to imagine that the only feeling John experienced during the baptism of our Lord was a profound sense of peace, joy, and fulfillment. 

To conclude, I again ask: what are you and I waiting for?  Perhaps you’re eagerly waiting for the conclusion of finals, for a response from an admissions committee, for mister or misses right to appear in your life, or for the arrival of a newborn.  Maybe you’re waiting for God to take action in your life, for a more intimate relationship with our Lord, or for any one of the other desires you hold within your heart.  In whatever you and I are waiting for, I humbly pray that we may possess the same patience, hope, and joy as John, Simeon, and Mary. 

Questions for Reflection: 

What are you currently waiting wait for? Do you find it difficult to be patient as you wait? 
When do you typically find your patience running thin? How do you feel in such instances?  
How might you utilize this Advent season to help increase your patience when you are waiting for your deepest desires to occur?  

-Aaron Skiba is a graduate student in Aerospace Engineering.  He serves on the lead team for St. Mary's Graduate Student & Young Professional Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment