Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Slow Work of God

by Stephanie Smith on the Second Sunday of Advent



The Second Letter to Peter teaches, “With the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day. The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard ‘delay,’ but he is patient with you.” For me this reading begs a question, and I am forced to ask myself, “God is patient with me, but how can I be patient with God?” So often, I want God’s plans to happen right now. I don’t want to wait. Waiting is hard, often tortuous work. It also forces me to accept that I am not in the one in control, and that rarely fits into my plans.

John the Baptist prepared the way of the Lord with patient hope and with a great sense of immediacy. He wasn’t preparing the way for a kingdom to come years down the road; he was preparing the way right now. Yet, he also managed to wait patiently for Christ, the one mightier than he who would come, and John the Baptist fully accepted that he was not the one in control. How can I work tirelessly for God and his kingdom with that same sense of immediacy while also trusting in the slow work of God and allowing myself to be restless and incomplete?

Advent is a time of waiting, but it isn’t passive waiting. How can we actively wait for God and trust in his plans for us while we simultaneously work to bring about the kingdom right here and right now? God’s plan for our salvation requires us to hand over control to our loving Father and to wait, work, and trust with hope and with joy.

Questions for Reflection:
Do you struggle to be patient with God? How can you work this Advent season on developing a patient, joyful trust in God, our loving Father?


-Stephanie Smith teaches in the Theology Department at Divine Child High School in Dearborn. She is an active member of the Graduate Student & Young Professional Group at St. Mary Student Parish.

No comments:

Post a Comment