Monday, December 22, 2014

I Love You, and You Are Mine

by Katie Larin on Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent



Ever since I was young, I have loved the song “You are Mine.” It has always struck me as such a profound exclamation of God’s personal love for us. Although it is not necessarily an Advent song, the theme of waiting in joyful hope for a God who loves us so much shines through beautifully.

Below are a few of my thoughts as I reflect on the lyrics of the song.

 “I will come to you in the silence”
Christmas is three days away. Because I finished exams just a few days ago, my past weekend has been filled with shopping, seeing old friends, and completing last minute preparations (I should probably be working on post-grad applications too!). As I get closer to the holiday, I often forget to be still. I forget to slow down and recognize the significance and joy of Jesus’ birth.

“I am hope for all the despairing, healing for the ones who dwell in shame”
As we wait in joyful anticipation, this song reminds me that Jesus’ birth is cause for immense hope. He has come to be hope for the hopeless, to heal those in shame, to cure the blind and lame, and to lead all to freedom. What wonderful gifts – and all out of love!

“I have called you each by name”
But. This hope and love is not simply for everyone, a blanket statement of love over the entire world. This love is for each one of us, individually. He has called us each by name. He claims us as His choice. We belong to Him, for He came, on December 25th, out of love for us. For me. For you.

Come and follow me, I will bring you home. I love you, and you are mine.

Questions for Reflection: 
Amidst the busyness of the Advent season and last minute preparations, have you found time to be still, to allow space for God to come to you in the silence?
What are you hoping for as Christmas approaches? Healing? Freedom? Peace?
Do you recognize that Jesus came to this earth out of personal, immense love for you?


-Katie Larin is a senior at the University of Michigan, majoring in Organizational Studies. She is the current Outreach and Engagement Intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment