Thursday, December 11, 2014

"Lights will Guide You Home"

by Devin McParlane on Thursday of the Second Week of Advent



"Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones; and I will try to fix you." These lyrics, and this song in general, are a piece of hope I have turned to when I have struggled in the past, yearning for a sense of peace. I realize now, in searching for this peace through the words of this song, that it was and still is a form of prayer for me. Although the Advent season brings us excitement, joy, and preparation surrounding the birth of Jesus and everything the holiday season means to us in terms of spending time with loved ones, we also face struggles. Some grave, some minimal, some unique to each day.

I think of this song for prayer in general, looking to God for support, but I think even this is a reminder that he "fixes us" even when we are not broken, and we in turn need to keep him near especially when times are in some sense good. In this Advent season, may we heed the call to "fix" others in ways that others have fixed us in a time of need, and understand that even in such a happy season everyone loves, there is suffering all around us, and constantly opportunities among us to step in. That is a reminder I want to focus on for myself this season. "Lights will guide you home" reminds me of the way in which we can always turn to God, and find with him a sense of home.

Question for Reflection
In what ways are you being called to "fix" or help others this Advent season?
Where in your own life do you need God's light to guide you home?

-Devin McParlane is a senior in the Ross School of Business.  She served as the SMSP Student Giving Intern for the 2013-14 academic year.

No comments:

Post a Comment