Monday, December 1, 2014

God is Waiting for Us

by Julia Kehoe on Monday of the First Week of Advent



Stop what you’re doing, close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths. When I listen to this song, I can’t help but hear Mary saying yes to God’s call to be mother to the Son of Man. The anticipation she experienced while waiting for his arrival must have been unreal. I’m sure she was feeling nervous and confused, but also blessed and so full of love. I can relate to this uncertainty as graduation draws nearer and nearer. Similar to Mary, in about nine months, I know that my life will look nothing like it looks today, as I enjoy a quiet morning in the Ann Arbor house that has become a home for my best friends and me, but I have no idea how it will look differently. Where will I live? What will I do? Who will my friends be?

Advent is the reminder and the promise that God will bring light to all of the darkness and uncertainty that we face. Even though we don’t always have all the answers, we know that God will never leave us to face our journey alone. Advent gives us the chance to slow down and take a closer look our relationship with God, to listen, and to trust. When we do this, taking paths that might be difficult, frightening, or just not what we would have chosen, we are bound to be blessed immeasurably in return. During this season of waiting, remember that God is waiting for us too – waiting patiently for us to open our hearts to Him and to trust, so that He can work through us in unimaginably amazing ways.

Question for Reflection & Suggestion for Prayer:
Where is there uncertainty in your life right now? Share this with God, and ask for the courage to trust in His incredible plan for you.

-Julia Kehoe is a senior majoring in Program in the Environment and Organizational Studies.  She serves as one of the co-coordinators for the Alternative Spring Break Program at St. Mary Student Parish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment